Best Lubuntu Apps

Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 | Posted by Unknown | Labels: ,
Before I get started, those who are new to Lubuntu need to know that there is virtually no application that can be installed on Ubuntu that is not also not available for Lubuntu. The exception to that are small apps that integrate into a specific desktop environment. So, of course you are not going to be able to install a Unity lens because the default Lubuntu DE does not use Unity.

That being said, there are a few characteristics that rule out certain software. Lubuntu software should be both (a) lightweight and (b) minimalist.

So, here we go...

Dock - Docky
There are a few docks available for install with Lubuntu. Docky has been my favorite for a few years now. Lightweight. Stable. What more can you ask for?
Install Docky:
sudo apt-get install docky

Quick Launcher - Synapse
Super fast, integrated with Zeitgeist, and aesthetically pleasing.
Install Synapse:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:synapse-core/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install synapse

Text Editor/IDE - Geany
This is not the most comprehensive IDE out there. However, it has quite a few plugin options, it has "enough" features, and it is incredibly light-weight.
Install Geany:
sudo apt-get install geany

Email/RSS Reader - Web-based
Evolution? Thunderbird? Liferea? Meh... There's not much out there at the moment.

The new Geary project looks promising. Lightread is also a hopeful project. But it's too early for both of them.


Browser - Google Chrome/Firefox
I go back and forth between my love for these two browsers. I simply can't decide which is better.

But if you're wondering why Chrome and not Chromium? Chrome has flash integration, regular updates, and an ntegrated pdf reader.
Install Firefox:
sudo apt-get install firefox

Install Google Chrome by downloading it from Google.


Music Player - Pithos and DeaDBeeF
I am in love with both of these applications. I think DeaDBeeF is a real improvement over Audacious. And Pithos is essential for anyone who love Pandora.

Install Pithos:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kevin-mehall/pithos-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pithos

Install DeaDBeeF:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexey-smirnov/deadbeef
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install deadbeef


Office Suite - LibreOffice
I'm pretty sure that LibreOffice is a cardinal sin to put on a Lubuntu list. I really love AbiWord. But I need more features. LibreOffice provides the whole package.
Install LibreOffice:
sudo apt-get install libreoffice


Photo Manager - GThumb
No frills photo manager. You can't ask for more.
Install GThumb:
sudo apt-get install gthumb


Video - MPlayer
I like VLC, but I haven't had a need to download it lately. MPlayer gobbles up everything I throw at it. It's the default video player on Lubuntu, and I think it's worthy of that status.



Are there any I missed? Did I get any wrong? Leave me a note in the comments!
Did you find this post helpful? Subscribe to our RSS feed and stay connected with Lubuntu Tips!

0 comments:

Post a Comment